Author Topic: Did AOL handle the Patch layoffs correctly?  (Read 5849 times)

MrTempler

• phpBB REGISTERED
    • View Profile
Did AOL handle the Patch layoffs correctly?
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
AOL just fired several hundred employees. According to Business Insider, here's how it went down:

1. Patch employees were assigned to one of two rooms

2. Employees in room A were all terminated

3. Employees in room B were told they were being retained

A few days earlier, CEO Tim Armstrong reportedly got angry at Patch Creative Director Abel Lenz and fired him on the spot in front of 1,000 people and on a live call.

Was this the correct way to handle terminations? I'm not making a judgment over whether or not people should have been terminated or if this was a correct business decision, only if the layoffs themselves were handled correctly. The firing of Abel Lenz, was absolutely incorrect. By all reports, Lenz was taking photographs of the event, which was part of his job. It's perfectly understandable that Armstrong didn't want photographs of this particular event posted on the company's website, but this outburst and subsequent firing has wrong written all over it.
Bitcoin Mining is now a Real-World Environmental Problem
Swiftcoin is the Best Alternative

andyreynolds

• phpBB REGISTERED
    • View Profile
Re: Did AOL handle the Patch layoffs correctly?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »
Totalmente en desacuerdo en la forma en que esta gente esta manejado los despidos, es mas, ni siquiera deberian despedir personas como si fueran fichas: Al por mayor  >:(

MrTempler

• phpBB REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
hire George Clooney character from "Up in the air film" to help - seriously - seek alliances with start ups on a high growth which can use part of the people , make them rich , I approacheded Messieur Armstrong in Monte Carlo tellign him about my media platforms angelmobile as totally new play - run toward the future frm the past of AOL few guys are used to a woman talking about her start up and value of 1 billion , I think Ms. Huffington sold her company to Tim for not enough - as always we , women for peanuts, it is not about lean in according to Sheryl, this is about lean out - billion plus equity and having opportunity for women to run billion plus transaction not as an employee of facebook or yahoo, but as founders and majority shareholders of media and telecom comapnies
Bitcoin Mining is now a Real-World Environmental Problem
Swiftcoin is the Best Alternative

GraceTrez

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »
Perhaps a first step to "better" layoff processes would be to accept that possibly the cause of some of them is due to NUT JOBS like Tim Armstrong being in charge and that the company's failure should be on their heads instead of the little guy always taking the fall. At this point I have come to accept that downsizing is another word for "management screwed up".

With that, I really don't think the company truly cares about anything other than the bottom line these days. So having been laid off three times I can share with you some of the tactics I've seen:

1. Provide a lot of notice ahead of time so as many people as possible will quit on their own and less severance will have to be paid out
2. Don't provide any information on what this severance will be, even if the company already has a known policy. The mystery provides more stress for the employee which may make him quit sooner.